Soul Ties are RealMay 16, 2023
Soul ties are REAL. I recall having a soul-tie once. That means, my soul was spiritually intertwined with someone. I had a very close relationship with that person for about 5 years and we went through the phases: "friends," "best friends," "dating," and even "engagement." I did not have to have sex to form my soul tie but it came from my overly close and co-dependent relationship with this person.
I idolized that relationship and put it above my relationship with God. My soul tie and my relationship did not bring God glory because it caused others to sin and fall short too. People grew jealous and idolized my relationship, not recognizing that what seemed right was actually all wrong.
As I drew closer to my boyfriend, I pulled further away from God and fell deeper into sin. Even though this wasn't necessarily a case of being "unequally yoked," this was a case of two Christians putting God on the back burner for each other. It was like our relationship was first and God came second when it should have been the other way around!
The sin that came from my soul tie included things like choosing not to devote time to God in the morning because I'd rather please my boyfriend and stay on the phone until 6:00 in the morning. Instead of presenting my body as a living sacrifice unto God, I compromised and chose to feed the sexual desires that came from my soul-tied relationship while often using the excuse, "it's okay we will be married soon." Instead, I should have committed myself to Jesus and finding my contentment in Him!
So, God had to break this soul tie. At the time I didn't know it, but God was in control all along. He is a jealous God and wanted me all to Himself! When I finally became aware of my sin and what the nature of my relationship had been, I took some practical steps to finalize the spiritual work that God was doing in my soul. Because remember, faith without works is dead!
These steps included separating myself from that person as well as from any other things that I lived with that represented that person in any way. Such as gifts, notes, pictures, etc. If the soul tie is "really deep" like mine was, you have to take into consideration the presence of mutual friends and acquaintances as well.
But that was not enough!
I realized that just staying away from that person and trying to avoid things that hold sentimental value, does not fully close the gap to where the tie was broken. Unless you find something to fill that brokenness and void, you will be running right back to your soul tie, just like I did, too many times!
I had to let God mend my brokenness and fill me back up, and make me whole. It was not until I began to seek Him. It was not until I began to stop looking for men for satisfaction and contentment. It was not until I learned to be content in God, forgive, and let go of the past... it was not until then, that I was freed!
Some Supporting Bible Verses:
- James 2:26: "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."
- Ephesians 4:30: "And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption."
- Romans 12:1: "And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice--the kind He will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship Him.
- Exodus 20:4-5: "You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath on in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,"
- 1 Corinthians 6:9: "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders"
- Psalms 147:3: "He mends the broken hearted and binds up their wounds,"
Clarification on soul ties:
- A soul tie does not have to be a negative thing. For instance, when God joins a man and a wife in marriage, a soul tie is formed. But that kind of soul tie is honored by God. On the contrary, being that it is a sin to fornicate before marriage, the soul tie that comes from pre-marital sex can produce even more sin.
- God may put people in your life whose souls will be tied to you to help fulfill His vision and purpose but that type of soul tie should always bring Him glory.
- Soul ties can be formed from more than just sex, but through close relationships as well.
Subscribe for Updates
Join the family so you never miss a beat!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.